Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Reviews

Here on the Shelf-ish Reader, I sometimes review books, so here's the guide to understanding my reviews.

The Shelving Method:

Top Shelf: An absolute must have! Run out and read it now!!!

Middle Shelf: A good, solid read. Add it to your to-read list, preferably near the top.

Dusty Shelf: A so-so title, neither very good nor very bad

Bottom Shelf: A hidden treasure, hard to find, but worth the search!

Floor: Doesn't belong on anyone's bookshelf- read at your own risk!


The Three Brains

Sometimes I read a book that needs to be reviewed by my three brains.
What are my three brains? They are:

Brain #1: My own brain
Brain #2: My think-like-a-librarian brain
Brain #3: My think-like-a-kid/teen brain.

These brains have differing opinions on books, so they look to each speak up. For example, if I were to review Eragon by Christopher Paolini, here is how my brains would weight in:

Brain #1 (My brain)- Ugh! Horrible writing, filled with every cliche in the book. Experienced fantasy readers will be horribly disappointed! Rating: Put this book on the FLOOR!

Brain #2 (Librarian Brain)- Great approachable writing, perfect for introducing young readers to the fantasy genre. Rating: Place it on the Middle Shelf- its great for beginners!

Brain #3 (Kid/Teen Brain)- This is so cool! Action, swords, dragons! I want MORE!!!!!!!!! Rating: TOP SHELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, watch out for the brains- they like to argue, sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment